Independent Advisory Group on Real Estate Regulation in BC
The independent Advisory Group, chaired by the Superintendent of Real Estate, brings together experts from across a range of public and private organizations to review the conduct requirements in place for real estate licensees in BC, and to examine whether those requirements are adequate and whether they are being effectively enforced.
About the Independent Advisory Group
On February 9, 2016, the Real Estate Council of BC initiated the creation of an independent advisory group to review the Council’s handling of licensee misconduct. BC's Superintendent of Real Estate, Carolyn Rogers agreed to Chair the Advisory Group. On February 22, 2016, Ms. Rogers named her group members and outlined the Advisory Group’s key areas of focus.
The Advisory Group is examining the current real estate regulatory regime to determine whether it adequately protects the public interest from real estate licensee conduct that is inconsistent with the duties and standards required of licensees. The group has outlined its mandate and the scope and focus of its work in comprehensive Terms of Reference.
The Advisory Group will provide an interim report to the Real Estate Council by April 8, 2016, and a full report and recommendations by the end of May, 2016.
- April Progress Report
- Terms of Reference
- Independent Advisory Group named; work begins to examine real estate practices in BC
Independent Advisory Group Membership
The Superintendent of Real Estate, Carolyn Rogers, is the Chair of the independent Advisory Group.
The advisory group members are:
- Howard Kushner, Barrister and Solicitor, Kushner Law Group
- Don Wright, President and Chief Executive Officer, Central 1 Credit Union
- Audrey T. Ho, Commissioner, British Columbia Securities Commission
- Bruce D. Woolley Q.C., Stikeman Elliott
- Carol Geurts, Associate Broker, Century 21 Veitch Realty, Creston BC
- Tony Gioventu, Executive Director, Condominium Home Owners’ Association of B.C.
- Ron Usher, General Counsel, Society of Notaries Public of British Columbia